Malaysian odds express the potential profit from a bet as a multiple of the amount wagered plus the initial stake
What Are Malaysian Odds?
Malaysian odds, also known as Malay odds, are a type of odds format commonly used in Malaysia and other Asian countries for sports betting.
Malaysian odds are expressed as either positive (+) or negative (-) numbers, with the positive number indicating the underdog and the negative number indicating the favourite. The odds also reflect the amount of payout that a bettor can expect to receive if they win.
For example, if a team is listed at odds of +1.50, it means that a bet of RM1 on that team will yield a profit of RM1.50 if they win. Conversely, if a team is listed at odds of -1.50, it means that a bettor would need to risk RM1.50 to win RM1 if that team wins.
Calculating potential profit using Malaysian odds is not quite as simple as other odds formats as there are two separate calculations for positive and negative odds.
For positive odds, the formula for calculating profit is:
Profit = stake x odds
For negative odds, the formula for calculating profit is:
Profit = stake x (-1 / odds)
In both cases the stake needs to be added to the profit in order to calculate the return. See the three examples further down.
To calculate the implied probability of Malay odds, use the following formulas:
- For positive odds, the formula for implied probability is: (1 / (odds + 1)) * 100
- For negative odds, the formula for implied probability is: (odds / (odds – 1)) * 100
For example, for odds of -1.2, the implied probability would be (-1.2 / (-1.2– 1)) * 100 = 54.55%
For example, for odds of +0.3, the implied probability would be (1 / (0.3 + 1)) * 100 = 76.92%
Bet on a football match between Manchester United and Liverpool with odds of 0.75 for Manchester United to win at a stake of $100:
- Return = (stake x odds) + stake = $75 + $100 = $175
- Profit = stake x odds = $75
Bet on Roger Federer to beat Novak Djokovic in a tennis match with odds of 0.50 for Djokovic at a stake of $200.
- Return = (stake x odds) + stake = $100 + $100 = $200
- Profit = stake x odds = $100
Bet on the Los Angeles Lakers to beat the Boston Celtics at odds of -0.50 with a $200 stake:
- Return = (stake x (-1 / odds)) + stake = $400 + $200 = $600
- Profit = stake x (-1 / odds) = $400
Pros & Cons of Malaysian Odds
Here are pros and cons of using Malaysian odds in sports betting:
More Odds Formats
- Betting Bold: The Art of Wagering Against The Grain - September 11, 2023
- August 2023|Top Football Tipsters Of The Month - September 6, 2023
- August 2023 | Top Horse Racing Tipsters Of The Month - September 5, 2023